This was another Thrift Store "beauty" $1.00. I didn't even have a good idea for it at first but after giving it a light sanding and painting it white, I discovered that I have some cork paper I bought from Europe last time we went. I used Mod Podge to glue it on top and it turned out pretty cute.
Here's the plan - Get rid of the bathtub, install glass mosaic tiles in the shower area and add glass block half-wall to separate the shower area.
Hidden mirror inside the wall?
Bathroom - totally gutted. The floor was rotted and wood needed to be replaced in some spots.
We made two little ledges into the wall for the shampoos and stuff. I did the tile again but realized that this time it was much more difficult to get it straight. Got the tile again from www.cooltiles.com. I looked at everything on clearance and found a nice yellowish color for $5.00 per sheet.
Thanks to our friends who helped at the end to get it done. Mirror - Thrift Store $2.00, Vanity cabinet - Thrift Store $5.00 Refinished it, sanded, stained, clear coated and waxed.
Storage was an issue, so in between two beams we left this opening for the rolled up towels.
And where that hidden mirror was, we created a tiled hole for.. well, there are always things to put there
It was hard to find a fexible shower head that mounts on the wall. Ordered it online.
$10.00 at the Thrift Store! It actually had padded covers on it so I spotted it on the second time when I saw the back of the chair. I removed the heavy padding at the store and "Hello awsome frame!"
The bottom was quite rusted. I used wire brush but it still remained quite coarse when closely examined.
Then a year later, my buddy helped me the make wooden handles for this chair and it's in my house to stay.
Too bad I don't have a "before" picture of this table. Brian spotted it and I tried to talk him out of buying it. It was dark brown and not even made of solid wood. Just a nasty looking thing.
I got the idea of gluing some glass half-beads on the sides. We painted it white first, then I scratched the surfaces to make it look more interesting for clear beads. I used Elmers Glue to hold the beads in place. The next day it was ready for a grout. I love the way it came out. Simply stunning. Love the original hardware.
This is probably the most amount I have ever paid at the thrift store. $70.00 for a beat up dresser seemed like a good idea at the time. I actually thought it was antique until some guy told me that this was 1930's dresser and has potentially no value whatsoever. It was really in a very poor shape and I kept it in a basement for a year before finally taking the challenge. .
My friend helped me to sand it down. We repaired the holes with a wood putty and stained it with ebony stain. I also kept the original hardware, cleaned and reattached. I love it and it's a keeper.
My brother was working on this one, I think he did a great job. It was also a Salvation Army, solid wood find but we made it strictly for selling. SOLD
I was fascinated when I saw this china cabinet at the Thrift Store. Unusual and a little fru-fru. But it took time for me to get it going. It appeared to be a lot more work than I imagined so I ditched the idea of leaving it natural and went the easy way of painting it instead.
This ottoman looked sick at the Thrift Store. I didn't even want to touch it at first. The fabric came off immediately. Looked like someone had done a makeover on this already. The next layer wasn't prettier than the first. There was also a spring cushion underneath.
I sanded the legs, renewed the padding and covered it with a cool printed fabric. At Home Depot I bought some fancy wall trim and used that for the edges. Pained white.
I was gonna try something different with this one. I gave it just a light sanding first. Then I used plain white wall paint to and wiped it off when it got almost dry. The original water stain was still shining through so I painted a leaf motif on the right side with a very light olive color. Clear coat on top.
This chair almost punched me in a face when I saw it at the Thrift Store. Thats how ugly it was.
It was hard to sand the detailed wood so I spray-painted the wooden parts. I used Ikea fabric for the seat and a different monochrome for the back. Stapled that in and trimmed the overlay with 1/5" black upholstery trim.
I don't actually have a real "before" picture of this table. I found this in Paterson Salvation Army Store for $40.00 It was painted green and had an oval shaped white marble top.
It was sanded down by my brother Renee who happened to visit me at the time. And then we stained it with "ebony" wood stain. I took it in the house and simply started drawing on it with a white paint pen.
I started drawing all kinds of animals. florals and sea creatures..
And then I went nuts and painted the legs and the back of the legs
At the end I covered the table with clear coat. After
The price was hardly worth the work I put into it. But it was fun. All that matters.
Shopping is not fun. Digging and treasure hunting is fun! Transforming and re-purposing, saving the Mother Earth one chair at the time. And using my creativity in a practical way - this is what I love and enjoy more than spending my short life watching bad TV.
Of course, anyone can do it,, and I learn as I go. My desperate need to share will keep this blog going until I can do no more. Hopefully for a long time.